8 Ways to Increase Your Profits After You’ve Made it to the Top of Google
I had a call with a prospect last week who found us through a Google search. We discussed his business and he had done a great job of using multiple websites (one per city he targeted) and as a result he had rankings for his target keyword in most cities he wanted to get customers in. In fact, he was making good money, but he wanted more.
He asked me what I thought about adding banner ads to the site in an effort to increase revenue, and although he had good rankings, he did not have the traffic to justify adding banner ads. Even worse, it could clutter his website and decrease his current profits.
I shared two ways to increase his profits based on his current search engine positioning; increasing his conversions and increasing his revenue per customer. The good news is that these strategies work, regardless of whether or not you are dominating the search engines, and will help grow your bottom line. Here are some tips on doing both.
Increasing Website Conversions
A while back, I wrote that increasing website conversions can be more profitable than growing website traffic, and it still holds true. In fact, it’s ideal to optimize your website conversion rate (that’s the percentage of people who actually connect with you after visiting your website) before investing heavily in online marketing to get the maximum return on your investment. Here are some tips on increasing your website conversions.
1. Have an Irresistible FREE Offer. Asking people to sign up for your newsletter just doesn’t cut it any more. You need to offer something of value such as a free white paper, how to guide, or a free course to get people to give up their (real) email address these days. Using this strategy should increase your prospects by roughly 250% (according to Aweber).
2. Communicate With Your Prospects. If you collect names and email but never communicate with these people, they will not likely convert to paying customers. When you communicate, offer them more value, don’t just ask for their business. The more value you show, the more they will realize that you are the right person to do business with. Also, resist the notion that people need to be incentivized with a discount; you might just be giving money away then what they really want is value.
3. Chat with Your Prospects. Did you know that live chat is a great way to help customers make a buying decision? Many people will take you up on the offer to answer a question and many time those questions lead to sales.
4. Fix Your Website. If your website still isn’t mobile friendly, you will be losing customers from the start (it turns out the prospect who called did not have a mobile friendly site). Additionally, make sure the message of your website is clear as you don’t have much time to keep people’s attention. If they don’t see what they are looking for, they will hit the back button and look at a different search result.
Increasing Revenue per Customer
Perhaps you have heard that the easiest customers to sell are the ones you already have. This is because they already know, like, and trust you which are keys to doing business. Assuming that all is well with your current customers, here are a few strategies for increasing revenue per customer.
1. Find Out What They Need. Perhaps you have other services you can offer them (directly or through a partner), or you might find another need to fill in their industry.
2. Remind Them What You Offer. You may have a product or service that they are unaware of but would buy from you if they knew. A good way to position your products or services is by telling stories about how others are using them successfully.
3. Raise Your Prices. This one gets dicey, but if you have not increased your prices in a while, you might just be leaving money on the table.
4. Ask for Referrals. Some of your customers will naturally send you referrals, and some will send them if you ask for them. If your customer spends $500 with you and send someone else who does the same, the value of that customer just doubled.
I hope you found at least one strategy to take away and implement immediately to take your business to the next level. And you don’t have to be at the top of Google before you implement these tactics 🙂 There is still lots of traffic on page one and even some on page 2+.